Adventure Between the Pages: Ring of Secrets by Roseanna White

1:00 AM


Buy it Here
Description: This exciting romantic spy novel from Roseanna M. White combines fascinating cloak-and-dagger secrets with a tale of love and intrigue during the Revolutionary War. Winter Reeves is an aristocratic Patriot forced to hide her heart amid the Loyalists of the City of New York. She has learned to keep her ears open so she can pass information on British movements to Robbie Townsend, her childhood friend, and his spy ring. If she's caught, if she's hung for espionage...well, she won't be. Robbie has taught her the tools of the trade: the wonders of invisible ink, drop locations and, most importantly, a good cover. Bennet Lane returns to New York from his Yale professorship with one goal: to find General Washington's spy hidden among the ranks of the elite. Searching for a wife was supposed to be nothing more than a convenient cover story for his mission, but when he meets Winter, with her too-intelligent eyes in her too-blank face, he finds a mystery that can't be ignored. Both believers...and both committed to a separate cause. Will their faith in God lead them to a shared destiny or lives lived apart?

When I got the email from Roseanna White saying I had won her Culper Ring series, I was ecstatic! I love books, history, and mystery, and free things, so it couldn’t get much better. I waited for the books to come in the mail and started reading the first one as soon as I opened the package.

Winter was a fascinating character. I don’t think I have read a book about a very smart girl pretending to be stupid all the time, to get information from the enemy. The uniqueness of the plot and characters made me fall in love instantly with this book. Even in the couple of rough spots of the book, Winter kept me reading. She is one of those characters that gets stuck in your head and stays.

Bennet wasn’t as well developed as Winter, I felt. Don’t get me wrong, he made an excellent hero. His way of pursuing Winter was not only charming, it was heartwarming.  My main issue with Bennet is that I really didn’t understand why he felt the way he did about things both personally or politically. I won’t say anything else about that, because I don’t want to give away any of the book.

The story itself was so fascinating that I didn’t want to stop reading. Winter’s political and personal struggles made sure that there was never a dull moment. There were several times I ignored my siblings, because I had to find out what happened next.

The historical setting of this book was captured wonderfully. White obviously did a lot of research for this story (I loved the prayers). The details painted a rich picture of the times and the people who lived in them.
I highly recommend this book for history lovers, Revolutionary War buffs, those who love spy stories, or those looking for an entertaining read.



Other posts you might enjoy:
       

You Might Also Like

0 comments